My Book Shelf

Monday, May 30, 2011

Young Adult Articles

      The first article I read was from Psychology Today.  The article focused on teen girls and depression.  It said that as many as 1 in 3 teens could suffer from depression.  It gave tips for parents and adults in understanding teenagers.  The article said that to understand teens, you need to read what they read, watch their shows (like MTV), and play their video games. I agree with this article that it is important to be in tune with what teens are doing in order to understand them.
      The second article I read was a great resource to get teens involved in reading and the library.  It came from the website below.  This aticle provided links to free technology librarians can use to get teens interested in reading.  I liked the idea of creating posters to hang in the library of faculty and staff dressed up and reading their favorite book.  A link is provided to help create the posters.  I also liked the idea of a Teen Book Choice Awards.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the URL to the website for resources to get teens involved in reading and the library. I love this website! It has some awesome ideas. I too liked the Teen Book Choice Awards idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article that I read was on teen boys and depression. Depression is a major concern with our youth. As educators and parents we need to be aware of the warning signs. Just maybe we could make a difference if we knew how to handle it.

    ReplyDelete